Cardamom is well known to all people in every corner of the country. It is a small pod that is used to flavor delicious meals. This has been used since ancient times in India, China, and Scandinavia.
If chilly is the king of spicy groceries, cardamom is the queen. Cardamoms contain fragrant oil that is easily evaporated. Cardamom contains protein, fat, iron, A, B, and C vitamins.
Cardamom is used in the preparation of sweets, meat dishes, and many other beverages. It is topped by its energetic and anti-inflammatory properties.
What is the difference between cardamom and black cardamom?
There are 2 main types of cardamom black and green. Black and green pods both are plants part of the ginger family and related to the Zingiberaceae family.
Green cardamom pods come from the Elettaria cardamomum plant and are harvested before they mature, while black pods are picked much later and then dried over a fire.
In recipes, black pods should not be used if a recipe calls for the green one, as the two pods have extremely different taste profiles. (green pods can be used in the place of black, but the signature smokiness will be absent).
whereas green pods contribute a subtle, delicate taste to dishes, black one packs a punch. unlike green pods, the black variety of this spice is rarely used in sweet dishes due to its strong smokey and menthol flavors.
The scientific name of green cardamom is Elettaria cardamomum. It is a native of India, The origin of this spice is to be believed in the rainforests of the Western Ghats in South India.
The pod contains small black seeds that have a strong aromatic aroma. These pods work well in savory and sweet recipes.
It makes a great flavor for coffee and tea and is the main ingredient of the garam masala blend.
Green pods also great paired with caraway, cinnamon, cumin.
Cardamom shop online
- The pod contains small black seeds that have a strong aromatic flavor. These have a high level of antioxidants which lowers high blood pressure naturally.
- 2-3 cardamom pods are often added to boiled water to make herbal tea. This is used to reduce bloating and intestinal gas often a meal in Ayurveda.
- They are also often ground and mixed into curries to add flavor. They work effectively when paired with chicken or mutton dishes.
- The pods are also dried and ground into a fine powder. This is stored in an airtight container for up to a year or more and is more versatile to use.
- They contain a high amount of manganese, a very important trace mineral that helps the body to form bones, connective tissue, and sex hormones.
- The manganese present in seeds additionally helps the body to break down carbohydrates and fats, making this excellent to eat when trying to lose weight.
- Those with diabetes or are pre-diabetes or are pre-diabetic should consume this spice regularly as the manganese helps the body to process blood sugars.
- Since ancient times, the Chinese and Indians have used cardamom to ease the digestive system. Studies show that the methanolic extract in this spice reduces stomach cramps and reduces the risk of gastric ulcers.
- They are an excellent source of other minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and phosphorous. These are all essential for excellent health in the body.
- Early scientific studies show that these seeds contain compounds that may lower the risk of cancer. They may inhibit the spreading of cancerous cells, however, more research is required.
- The antioxidants present in pods reduce inflammation throughout the body, especially in the liver. This is useful for those undergoing a cleanse or detox process.
- The high level of potassium and iron helps the body to produce red blood cells, and regulate the heart rate. This improves blood flow which will give you higher energy levels.
- In Ayurveda, cardamom spice is used for opening the airways. It improves blood circulation to the lungs for those suffering from asthma or bronchitis.
- Men and women also chew this is a way of freshening the breath. Its natural aromatic compounds destroy odor-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Chewing the cardamom pods also is a fast way of treating mouth ulcers and throat infections. This works well when you have a cold or flu infection.
- They have anti-spasmodic properties that help you to get rid of hiccups. Simply drink a cup of cardamom tea to relieve this annoying problem.
- The small black seeds in the pods can be removed and blended into healthy smoothies. A combination of ginger and watermelon juice is recommended to boost blow flow around the body.
- Drinking herbal drinks with cardamom seeds, or eating them in curries can reduce swelling in the legs and improve erectile dysfunction.
The scientific name is Amomumsubulatum.
The pods having tough, dried, wrinkly skin are roughly one inch in length and house small, sticky, dark-colored seeds. These pods have a strong pungent aroma.
You can see black cardamom a lot in North America and is all called hill cardamom, Bengal cardamom, greater cardamom, Nepal, winged or brown cardamom.
What is black cardamom used for?
It plays a prominent role in North India curries, better suited to savory recipes like strongly flavored meat dishes but not suited with sweet-backed dishes.
Pods can be added to stews and soups to provide them a refined flavor.
They could be added to desserts to provide them a grounded and earthly taste.
This is also great pair with things like basil, fennel, garlic, lemongrass, ginger.
Benefits of black cardamom
These seeds are used to cure many diseases. Because such nutrients are found in their seeds, which help us in curing many of our diseases and proves very beneficial for keeping us healthy.
- Your gastrointestinal tract will probably be positively impacted by consuming black pods.
- For those people who always have a gas, acidity problem in their stomach, chewing 6 to 10 grains of big cardamom and drinking water proves very beneficial.
- Doing this after eating food in the morning and evening does not create gas in the stomach and always keeps the stomach healthy.
- This is beneficial for cardiovascular health. Blood pressure may also be regulated by including black pods in your weight-reduction plan.
- So people, who chew 8 to 10 grains of cardamom with hot water in the morning and after dinner, can overcome such problems.
Buy black cardamom online
- They serve as a great antidote if you are suffering from respiratory troubles like lung congestions, whooping, cough, asthma, bronchitis, etc.
- For people who have weak kidney or kidney infection, using 8 to 10 grains of cardamom in an empty stomach in the morning with warm water gives strength to the kidneys and the kidney gets better due to recurrent kidney infection.
- People with sleep problems can get rid of the insomnia problem by chewing the big cardamom seeds with lukewarm water before bedtime.
Buy black cardamom powder online
India it’s known for its tea cultivation and full of die heart tea lovers.
This is one thing that we all connect with anyone across India. Here is a recipe for cardamom tea for those tea lovers.
Milk- ¾ cup
Cardamom- 1 POD
Tea powder- 1 or 2 tsp
Boil water in a saucepan.
Add pounded cardamom to it. Boil for a minute.
Add tea powder according to your preference. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
Add the milk and let it come to a boil.
Add sugar and mix well. Strain and serve the tea hot.
What are the benefits of cardamom tea?
Drinking cardamom tea is beneficial for those who suffer from high blood pressure, a weak immune system, halitosis, respiratory infections, iron deficiency, split ends, dandruff, obesity, inflammation, painful periods, indigestion, liver toxicity, as well as people at risk for cancer and chronic disease.
Heat a pan, and then add the whole cardamom around 50 to 100g.
Dry roast it for about 2 minutes on low- medium flame.
After 2 minutes turn off the flame (color will slightly change). Allow this to cool completely.
Once it cools down, transfer it into a dry mixer jar (use a small mixer jar).
Grind this into a fine powder, mix it once in between for it to grind evenly. Grind this again for a minute.
After grinding we get a very fine powder. Store it in an airtight container, for long-term use you can place this in the refrigerator.
Weight loss benefits
- Cardamom helps to prevent fat accumulation in problematic areas like the abdomen.
- Eating these seeds on daily basis can prevent this kind of fat accumulation which can reduce the metabolism and increase risks of cardiovascular problems.
- Cardamom is food that helps in reducing toxins, generally, spicy tea is made with cardamom as an effective remedy.
- It prevents indigestion and also reduces bloating problems in the body, this is the reason why this pod is known to be a popular remedy for gastrointestinal disorders.
- Good digestion ensures a smoother weight loss.
- Water retention or bloating is one of the many causes of weight gain.
- Ayurvedic properties of these spices can help remove extra water in the body in the form of urine.
- These pods help in reducing LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. However, they might also slightly lower down good cholesterol HDL.
What happens if you eat too much cardamom?
Possible Side effects
- If you used it for a long time and in large quantities, cardamom might lead to some unexplained allergic reactions.
- Over intake of these spice becomes a reason for Skin allergy known as contact dermatitis is a popular type of skin rash.
- These seeds possibly unsafe when taken by mouth as a medicine during pregnancy. There is concern that taking these pods might leads to a miscarriage.
- For those who have gallstones, it is recommended do not to take these spices in amounts greater than those typically found in food.
- You should consume these seeds advisedly if you are following any medicinal course.
- This is because some drugs may interact with cardamom adversely and lead to serious health consequences.